As a chief accountant you must be able to meet the demands of an ever-changing business environment. (S)he must have a critical mind in identifying and defining clearly the problem, evaluating data gathered, evidence availed and making a choice on which one is the best among the different ideas evaluated. The chief accounts should have knowledge on accounting programs and possess outstanding mathematical skills, auditing experience, excellent skills in establishing controls, strong communication skills, problem-solving and analytical skills, leadership and administrative skills.
Chief Accountant Duties and Responsibilities
- Chief Accountant will coordinate the overall functions of the accounts department, preparation of income and expense statements, balance sheet and other financial reports
- Lead, train, motivate and guide the entire departmental team
- Responsible for day to day accounts supervision of accounts and presentation to Management
- Conduct all necessary training to keep the team’s skills and knowledge up to date
- Conversant with all the latest accounting laws and procedures
- Responsible for identifying financial solutions to improve bottom line and profitability
- Monitor the working capital, cash-flow forecast and ensure Cash and Banks Reconciliations are done on predetermined frequency
- Maintain an updated register of company assets, records, licenses, preparing fixed asset depreciation and movement schedule and monthly & stock taking.
- Participate, supervise and guidance in procurement processes
- Responsible for Payroll, monetary statutory obligations, Taxes and compliance
- Dealing with petty cash control and reconciliation
- Dealing with some exports and imports processes such as foreign exchange transactions, opening letters of credit for imports & scrutinizing LCs opened by customers for approval.
- Dealing with petty cash control and reconciliation.
- Organize for business permits, payments of land rates -local authority, land rent -ministry of lands.
- Preparation of general ledger, journals, accruals and G/L accounts reconciliation.
- Maintaining payroll records and monthly bank reconciliation and prepare statements of receipt and disbursement.
- Handle external audit co-ordinations by providing audit schedules and responding to auditors queries.
- Review & approve payment vouchers & journal entries
- Detect and address potential compliance issues proactively
- Work collaboratively with other teams to achieve shared goals ( Other departments)
Chief Accountant Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Must possess a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license in good standing
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Audit / controls / Accounts
- Exceptional computer skills, including Microsoft Office and databases
- High level of integrity and Energy to push ideas
- Consistent, accurate, and thorough with an eye for details
- Able to thrive in a KPI and Target driven environment
- Able to motivate the team and lead by example
Individuals of Asian origin encouraged to apply